Friday, August 24, 2007

Sandra on BBC Woman's Hour...

A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by the BBC to see if I would be willing to record a reading from my blog. Their program ‘Woman’s Hour’ is preparing a series of short radio items featuring women bloggers; of which I am one! BBC’s ‘Woman's Hour’ is one of the most widely listened to programs on BBC domestic radio. They have an extremely wide audience with 3 million listeners. After a few emails back and forth I agreed to contribute.

So, Wednesday morning a Sierra Leonean BBC correspondent (who has written a number of articles for the BBC concerning the Sierra Leone elections) came to the center to help me with a clean phone line with the BBC office in the UK. We put the satellite dish on the roof of the kitchen, spent some time moving it around, and finally received a good signal. We connected the satellite phone and made the call. It was a good connection and after briefly talking to the BBC representative on the other side of the line, we started recording. The first time I read it too quickly of course. But I quickly got the hang of it and it was actually quite fun recording an excerpt from my blog. It should be on the air sometime in September.

For those interested: the program goes out every weekday between 10.00-11.00 UK time and there is a special Weekend 'Woman's Hour' edition on Saturday. The women blogger readings will be aired over the next six weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/

http://sandralako.blogspot.com/2007/04/last-weeks-highlight.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How totally cool, Sandra! You are an amazing writer and communicator, they knew who to pick!
Terri

~ Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. micah 6:8 ~